Wednesday, May 29, 2013
AP Art: 2013-2014 Summer Assignments
As an example of what a finished work should look like in terms of the art/design principals above is an example of the first assignment (listed below) by Clay and below are examples of Clay's concentration pieces and one of the winning Shanti Peace Posters by Aidi a from a few years ago. If you have any questions about the assignments feel free to email me or come speak with me, other than that remember to enjoy the work and don't stress out because it usually means death to creativity!
1. Self Portrait (without showing your face)- The important thing here is to reveal something about yourself without using your face. In fact, you need not use any part of your body at all in this assignment. Instead, you are challenged to portray who you are in some alternative way. What image can you create or invent that would tell us something about you - your personality, your interests, your character, your inclinations, your talents, your passions, your obsessions, your desires, your needs, your likes and dislikes, your essence?
2. Grandiloquent– Read the definition below and create a work that has a theme of the term in some way. (adjective using loft or pompous words; marked by the use of impressive-sounding but mostly meaningless words and phrases; bombastic."poets in the 19th century tended to write poetry filled with grandiloquent phrases")
3. Decay- Create a work that incorperates the theme of decay in some way in any media. The theme is open to your own interpretation.
4. Chronicle- Take a part of your life (anything from a single 24 hour day to a week of summer is great to a year of your life) and make an art piece representing that period of time. You can incorporate text or leave it abstract but be creative and do not simply document, make it creative.
5. Inspiration- Take a look at this list of 100 Artists from Art 21, choose any artist and create a piece responding to (not copying or in their style) their work. The list includes everyone from artist who use traditional media such as: Cindy Sherman and Richard Serra to artist like: Ai Weiwei, Marina Abramović, and Laurie Anderson who do performance pieces. Video clips are available for each artist on the website so do a bit of research, find something in one of the artists that you connect to and create a piece on it.
Part II: Concentration Assignments:
Create 10 works in a theme of your choice in a medium that you want to work with for the AP test (pencil, photography, mixed media, ect.). Examples from the past include "A Day In The Life", "A Reinterpretation of the Past through Steam technology", and "Perspectives of the Brooklyn Bridge" so it's really wide open but if you want to run your idea past me before you begin I'd love to hear it. Here's a link to the College Board website which has information about the test with examples of Concentration pieces that have scored well in the past: AP: Studio Art
Part III: Shanti Peace Poster
Create a 8"x10' poster for the Shanti Peace Poster Contest, the theme is peace and you are free to use quotes from Ghandi and/or Martin Luther King if you wish. Here's a link to the three winning Smithtown designs from last year's contest: 2011 Peace Poster
- ► 2016 (163)
- ► 2015 (174)
- ► 2014 (167)
- Photography: Portfolio and final assignments
- AP Art: Senior Art Show 10: Melissa, Kevin, Jess, ...
- Photography: Light Painting
- AP Art: Senior Art Show 9 Saylor
- AP Art: 2013-2014 Summer Assignments
- Art Honor Society: Final Meeting of the Year
- Photography: Experimental Photo
- Studio Art: LongHouse Reserve Student Annual VI
- Art Honor Society: 2013 Induction Ceremony
- AP Art: SKYPE in the classroom with Jen Yu
- Art Honor Society: Chelsea Field Trip
- Inside Out and our PSA Project
- Art on HBO This week
- AP Art: Organic Sculpture
- Media Art: Creating a PSA with a message
- AP Art: Senior Art Show 8 Brianne
- Media and Art Honor Society: Spring field trip
- Photography: Final Exam
- The Inside Out Project
- Studio Art: Final Review
- AP Art: Senior Art Show 7 Lindsay
- Photography: JR PSA Portraits
- Art Honor Society: Spring Field Trip
- Mr.Needles Portrait Studio
- JR and the Inside Out project
- AP Art: Test Week
- Studio Arts: t-shirts designs
- Photography: The Lens Baby
- AP Art: Senior Art Show 6 Ali
- ▼ May (29)
- ► 2012 (208)
- ► 2011 (55)
- ► 2009 (19)